Docx is file format extension of Word document files (.docx) created using new Microsoft Office Word program from Microsoft. It replaces .doc format of file extension used in older Microsoft Word program. As a result, docx Word document files do not open in older version of MS Office software. Ideally, one would require latest Microsoft Office Word software program to open, edit and read docx format Word document files.
Can I open docx files without installing latest Office
Still, is there way to open docx files without spending money on new Office software and installing it on computer just to open docx document files? Well, there are many way to do so. Following are few online and offline methods/workarounds to read the content of docx files.
1. Open docx online – You can open docx files online without any software install. Just open drive.google.com website and login using Gmail or Google account. Upload your docx file for automatic conversion into read-able format. After conversion, you can open and view uploaded docx file content online.
2. Open docx with Older version of Office –If you already have older version of Microsoft Office, then you only need to install compatibility pack over existing install. After this install you will able to read docx files in pre-existing Microsoft Office install – Download Microsoft Compatibility Pack
3. No Software install, convert files to doc format online – This is best method to open, read docx files without hassle of installing any software updates. Use either these online tools to convert docx file into doc file format: Zamzar (it is quick and best tool for online docx file conversion).
4. Compatibility with Open Office –If you have Open Office installed on your computer, then you need to install Open XML Translator to able to read docx files – Download Open XML Translator
5. Solution for Office installed on Mac – For MS Office install on Macintosh system (Apple’s Mac) you need to install Microsoft Office Open XML File Format Converter for Mac – Download Open XML File Format Converter
6. Chrome Office Viewer extension (latest method) – Chrome Office Viewer extension allows you to open Microsoft Word docx (and doc format) files within Google Chrome browser. Additionally, you can also open PowerPoint and Excel files of .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx formats. Only limitation, as of now this extension is experimental and only works in Google Chrome beta version. You will get error if you attempt to install this extension in stable version of Google Chrome.
All the above methods work for opening docx extension word document files. If you are looking for quick one off conversion of docx into doc format, then use Zamzar (2nd method). It allows quick conversion into read-able format without installing any software, just need internet to access Zamzar website.