Autoplay (also called Autorun) feature of Windows operating system allows you to automatically view contents of CD or DVD dics inside the media drive. By default, this feature is turned ON. However, if you want to disable autoplay (autorun) – then you can easily disable this feature from advanced settings on Windows.
Disable Autoplay in Windows XP
1. Goto Start > Run & type Gpedit.msc & click OK.
2. Goto Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System.
3. Single click ‘system’ option on left bar and then scroll down right settings bar to double click ‘Turn Off Autoplay’.
4. Now click to select enable & select ‘all drives’ from drop down box.
5. Click Apply, OK. Settings should be effective on system restart or reboot.
Disable Autoplay in Windows 7 & Vista
1. Goto Start, enter Gpedit.msc & press Enter key.
2. Click Allow button, if you get any prompt window.
3. Goto Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates
4. Now navigate to Windows Components & then Autoplay Policies.
5. Double click ‘Turn Off AutoPlay’ in detailed settings pane.
5. Click enabled option & select ‘all drives’ from drop down box.
7. Click Apply, OK. Settings should be effective on system restart or reboot.