Microsoft Word is hugely popular application software used for basic word document creation, editing, processing, printing etc. Since it is a Microsoft product, it comes with a price tag. In case you want to save money and have the similar functionality of Microsoft Word, then checkout following free alternative Word processing software. Majority of these follow free open source model and offer feature rich Word Processor software for free download and use.
Download free Word Processor programs like MS Office
1. OpenOffice – OpenOffice.org is a multi-platform and multilingual office suite and an open-source project. Compatible with all other major office suites, the product is free to download, use, and distribute. It is considered best among free Word processing options. It includes: writer word processor for writing documents, calc spreadsheet application for data analyses, impress for creating multimedia presentations. draw for simple diagrams to dynamic 3D illustrations, base for manipulating databases, math for mathematical equations and formulas.
2. Jarte – It is a free word processor based on the Microsoft WordPad word processing engine. It is compatible to work fine on Windows 7, Vista and XP (should work on Windows 8 also). It has tabbed interface for quick opening and editing of documents. It supports opening of RTF file extension, DOC file extension and ever newer DOCX file extension. It support lot of functions for editing documents, fonts formatting, paragraph alignment and document printing. Jarte is also available as portable Word Processor software that can be used directly from a USB pen drive.
3. IBM Lotus Symphony – It is a feature rich package of three programs you will ever need for basic Word Processing needs. It includes: Lotus Symphony Documents, Lotus Symphony Spreadsheets, Lotus Symphony Presentations. You can use this on Microsoft Windows, Linux and Mac OS devices without any issue. Besides easy-to-use interface, there is online community for templates, tips and support issues. It is compatible with popular Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) file formats. It also supports feature to add invisible digital signature to documents and conversion of existing documents into PDF file format.
4. EasyOffice – It is a free office suite program with easy to use interface available in two languages: English and German. It has rich Word Processing Application supporting common formats, tables, WYSIWYG editor, zoom, movable text areas, free graphics placement. There is Database Application for database query and management. It also has Spreadsheet Application supporting formulas, charts, sheets and cell formatting. Other features include: multi-user support, tip of the day, wizards, assistance.
5. UltraPad – [ultra-software.com/ultrapad/ – website is down] Ultra-Pad is a cool freeware advanced Word Processor Application For Windows 95 and later. It has some of the most advanced features you would ever want in a Word Processor. It boasts of some of features you won’t even find in Microsoft Word program.
Above were 5 best free word processing software. Personally, Open Office is the best – however each of them is good and have their unique advantages. Also see more free alternative software to Microsoft Office Word program.